Monday, August 22, 2011

Orange Belts, Sparks, and Campaigns, Oh My!

Lots of news today! First off, I'm officially part of a three-person critique group, which means...ORANGE BELT! That's probably the quickest I'll ever move up in this writing ninja thing, since I think I have to finish revising my current WIP to get my first stripe, which means finishing the first draft of my current WIP, which means...a long wait. Oh well, one step at a time, right?

In other news, SparkFest started today. I'm just going to share a little story with you about the books that got me into reading. Pull up your computer chair, throw pillow, couch cushion, etc! I started reading when I was two and a half. Yes, you read that right. My grandma was very encouraging when it came to reading, and explained the mechanics of it to my tiny 18-month-old self. I figured it out about a year later. My parents also encouraged this great love of reading, my mom being a bookworm herself, so it wasn't that surprising that I caught on quick.

The books that made the hugest difference in sparking my interest? Dr. Seuss of course. :) Hop on Pop was the first book I ever read on my own, and Green Eggs and Ham was the book that proved to my uncles that I wasn't just memorizing (I had never read it before they showed it to me). Those books taught me so many things, from The Lorax and his love of the environment, to Oh, The Places You'll Go and the value of hard work and big dreams. I loved every tongue-twisting story in the Fox in Socks, and giggled like a fool at the antics of Horton and Yertle the Turtle. I think a lot of people are forgetting those books now. They're always on the shelf at the library when I go with F and A (the kids I nanny), which is sad because they're amazing. I recently introduced F to Horton the Elephant, and nothing has made me happier than hearing him giggle, just like I did, at the very same story. I encourage everyone to keep a little love for good old Dr. Seuss in their hearts, and pass his messages on to your own children. :)

To wrap it up, Rachel over at Rach Writes is starting her third Writing Campaign, which allows you to network and make friends within this lovely blogosphere. I'm signing up today, so hopefully I'll see you all there! Happy writing!

J

13 comments:

  1. Our little guy reads lots of Dr Seuss! He loves Fox in Socks and giggles continuously when we read it to him.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those books too... and go crit group!!!

    Ps... I think you were excited to write because you spelled step wrong and you said strip instead of stripe... it was kind of funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Another campaigner popping by to join your blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, fellow fantasy Campaigner and fellow ninja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Dr. Seuss! When we were clearing out my sons books he was too old for, I insisted on keeping those books- they sit in my office now :-)

    BTW- I am in your YA campaign group. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smart little girl! I love Dr.Seuss. My first book was Bears on Wheels.

    Congrats on your orange belt :)

    And I'll be seeing you around on the Platform-Building Campaign :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, fellow campaigner! Stopping by to follow your blog and return the visit :-)

    xx Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love Dr. Seuss!
    Congrats on the orange belt!
    Fellow ninja and campaigner,
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fellow campaigner and new follower stopping by. Have a great week!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to meet you, fellow campaigner! I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I LOVE the blue and brown background, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I LOVED Dr. Seuss! It is too bad those books are kinda falling by the wayside. I, too, was an early reader and I remember many a time curling up with my dad and reading The Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, O, Say Can You See... Dr. Seuss is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A couple years ago there was construction being done on my college campus. Someone printed little pictures of the Lorax and taped them to all the tree stumps. It was awesome. Dr Seuss had a lot to say, with the Sneetches, and the Zaks, and the Lorax, and he certainly found a wonderful way to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seuss and P.D. Eastman were my early faves. Fellow campaigner here. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

Now that you took the time to read my message, let's see what you have to say! Unless it's mean...then you can just keep it to yourself. :)