Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Have This Problem with Free Time...

...apparently, I don't like it. I can't even think of the last time I had a minute to just do nothing, but it hasn't been for a while now. Some updates? You're dying to know what's going on over here, I'm sure... :P

C and I are moving in 3 (ish) more days, which is the most exciting thing that's happened since our wedding. We were able to actually walk through an apartment last week, and let me tell you, the place we're moving to is AMAZING! I'll be sure to post some photos as we move in and get settled, but be warned that you probably won't get much until the new year.

We've spent the last 5 days in a frenzy of boxes and packing tape. From a Navy brat, a woman who has spent her entire life moving (once a year for the last six, to show you recent frequency), a nomadic spirit who doesn't like to be tied down: packing is the pits. You never realize how much crap you have until you go to pack it all up. I think C and I have thrown out at least one garbage bag's worth of stuff (and by thrown out, I mean donated to friends or neighbors, or left in free boxes on the street for people to claim), and we're still not done packing. Then there's the UNpacking part of it, which will probably involve even more stuff to get rid of (because let's face it, there are some things you're on the fence about until you move, and you realize you really DON'T want to clutter up your new space with every knick-knack you've gotten since you were 5). Ugh. But at the end of all that, we'll have a home, so I suppose it's worth it. :)

Some other noteworthy happenings: I've decided that I've morphed into a crafting queen, and will never purchase things I could make myself again. For instance, I just taught myself how to make marble magnets (which, if you haven't made them before, are super fun). I'm moderately addicted to magnets, but it's difficult to find cute ones in colors I like. Solution? Make them! I made Christmas ones last night (pictures at a later date), and I have the materials to make others, and I can already tell it's going to be something I continue to do. I'm thinking of giving some as Christmas gifts this year. :) I also sewed my first-ever stuffed animal last night (seriously, I don't believe in free time anymore). It's a penguin, in case you were curious.

I'm attending a showing of The Nutcracker next week with my mother-in-law, which is going to be the highlight of my Christmas season. We also have tickets to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in 2 weeks (the in-laws, C, and me), which we're all really looking forward to. Next weekend we're headed to Flagstaff for a snow-filled Christmas weekend. I miss snow, and my in-laws try very hard to make Christmas special for me (it is my favorite holiday after all, and not at all because of presents), so this trip is our second annual frolic-in-the-snow-to-satisfy-J's-nostalgic-urges trip. I love it. :)

What have you all been up to?! I feel like we haven't talked in ages...

J