Friday, January 6, 2012

A Contest!

It's Friday, which means it's contest time! To celebrate ending last year with my 100th post, I'm hosting another contest. This one won't involve the random number gods at all...it will involve your ability to impress an impartial judge. :P

This contest is all about creatures. I (as well as my husband) am a big fan of creatures in books. Whether they're mythical creatures I'm familiar with (unicorns, phoenixes, selkies) or new creatures that are unique to a particular story, I enjoy reading the history behind them. But the best part is the descriptions. It's fun to imagine wild and crazy beasts in your mind's eye, especially when all you have to go on is a paragraph or two of description.

The rules for this contest are simple: make up a creature. I don't want descriptions of familiar beasties, because chances are, they've all been done before in some form or other. It can be a creature that lives in your WIP, or one that you make up entirely for this contest, but make one up. Then leave a comment with a few sentences describing your creature. It can be physical characteristics, behavioral attributes, diet, etc...or a combination of all of those. Also, be sure to give it a name!

The prizes: one winner will receive a first chapter critique from me and an interview right here at Concrete Pieces of Soul. There *may* be a sketch involved, depending on how well my eyelash-batting works on my husband. :P

This contest is open until 11:59 PM PST on Friday, January 13. While you don't get bonus points for tweeting or blogging or Facebooking about the contest, any promotion is appreciated. :)

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with! :D

J