Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Word of the Year: 2012

I'm kind of addicted to Twitter. For those who don't know this, I check Twitter frequently throughout the day (thank you, Android phone :P), although I will admit I'm more of a lurker than a Tweeter. Anyway, today, while browsing my feed, I came across this little gem.

Jessica Corra has been giving herself a word of the year (rather than resolutions) since 2009. You can read the post for her explanation, but basically, she's not a fan of the tired concept of New Year, New You, so she decided to have a word to be mindful of for the whole entire year.

I'm a HUGE fan of this idea. I have a tattoo of the word "believe" on my wrist for a similar reason. Sometimes we need to be reminded of the things that are worth holding onto. I have a problem with doubt, both of myself and of things around me, so "believe" is a powerful word that keeps me in check every. single. day. It would make sense that I would flourish with a word of the year, rather than those pesky New Years' resolutions that are just made to be broken. And so, here it is, my word of the year...

CREATE

Not that I ever have a problem with creating things (take my wedding for example), but it's a word that represents exactly what I want to do this year. I want to finish my draft, take more pictures, sew pillows for our couch and stockings for Christmas, maybe even create life with my husband... "Create" is a word I can get behind, and I feel like I'll have a lot to show for myself if I can just remember to do it.

Today, when I get home from work, I'm going to plaster this word around the apartment. I'm going to put reminders in my phone for random days in the future. I'm going to write it on my hand, spell it out with magnets, do whatever it takes to keep it in my head. It will become my mantra for 2012, and at the end of the year, we'll see where it's taken me. 

This whole word-a-year thing is definitely something I can get behind. :)

If you decide to choose a word for the year, leave it in the comments section! Or, better yet, write your own post on the subject and leave me a link. :D

J