Wednesday, January 4, 2012

RTW: Taking My Hermit Status to New Levels

And now, it's Road Trip time! This blog carnival is hosted by the lovely folks over at YA Highway, and if you haven't participated yet, you really should. All you have to do is pop over to their website, answer the prompt on your blog, and leave a link in the comments section of today's post. Easy peasy, right?

Today's question: Describe your dream writing retreat. Where would you go? Who and what would you bring?

To answer this question, I need to let you in on reality first. I write anywhere and everywhere. I don't really have a spot that's always used for writing, or a routine I perform before settling in to write (which amuses me, because I am the queen of routine [heh, rhyming...]). Maybe that's my problem, the reason why I have such a hard time writing these days. Maybe I need a space, or routine, or soundtrack, or something to get me in the mood to write. 

Anyway, normally I use my laptop (handwriting works in a pinch, but it makes my hand tired after a while, and I scratch a lot of stuff out when I write). I'm usually curled up in bed or a corner of the couch, with either C's music or chattering children in the background. I prefer to not be bothered, since interrupted trains of thought usually never return to me, but that doesn't always happen. My ideal writing retreat? 

Here.



All photos courtesy of Sunsurfer (which no longer exists :( ) 


These three pictures are all from different parts of the world, but that doesn't stop me from wishing there were a forest that combined all three. They come from Ireland, Ireland, and the Pacific Northwest, respectively. There's just something magical about Ireland for me, and the woods, and I think having a treehouse nestled deep in the heart of the forest would spark the ultimate creative thoughts. It's like something out of a fairy tale, isn't it? :)

Ideally, I would be there by myself (it's how I would be most productive), but realistically, I would probably bring C and the pooch along, because what fun is it being in such a magical place if you have no one to share it with? Someday, when I'm rich and famous, I'll be able to build a treehouse in the woods. And then I will post pictures, so you can share in the magic. :D

Where is your ideal writing retreat?