Monday, January 9, 2012

The Scorpio Races

Don't forget! You have until 11:59 PST on Friday, January 13 to enter my creature contest! Check it out! :)

I wasn't really feeling well this weekend. Much as I wanted to be doing other things, the majority of the weekend was spent either on the couch or in bed. There was a lot of napping involved. But in between the naps, I did manage to finish The Scorpio Races (by Maggie Stiefvater). Holy. Wow.



Not only is the cover beautiful (kinda wish I had the physical book of this one instead of the e-book version...may have to invest in it anyway), but the story inside was beautiful too. It's a story about horses that are more than horses, an island that seems real in some ways but mythical in others, young love, loyalty, and heartache. It's a story that made me giggle, sigh wistfully, and tear up, all within the span of a few pages. While there wasn't as much character development as I would have liked (some aspects of the characters, such as nicknames, were never explained, and some characters just weren't fleshed out enough), it was forgivable because the rest of the book was so amazing.

I haven't read Shiver, Linger, or Forever yet. I have them sitting on my shelves...I just haven't found the time. But after reading The Scorpio Races, I'm excited to dive into another one of Maggie's worlds. The best part about this book? It's a stand-alone! While it can be nice to have a series so that you can prolong the goodbyes to favorite characters, there is something to be said for one book that ties everything up in a neat little package. No waiting for a year (or more) for the next installment, no annoying cliffhanger endings, no disappointment when you get to the end because it wasn't as satisfying as you wanted it to be. This book just is, and it finishes on the most beautiful and tear-inducing scene (I may have been a little emotional while I was reading it). 

You should definitely check it out if you haven't, or at least add it to your TBR pile. You won't regret it if you do. :D

Read any good books lately?

J