Monday, October 10, 2011

How I Failed-But-Actually-Succeeded This Weekend

*Please don't forget! If you liked my second Campaign piece, I need your votes. Head on over and "Like" my entry (#51 on the list)! I'm currently 4th out of 192 entries, so thanks very much to all who have voted!*

So remember how I had all those goals on Friday? Here they are, just in case you needed a refresher:

-Paint the flower girl basket (it's a gross peachy brown color, and we want it to be black)
-Purchase groomsmen's clothes
-Finish Wither
-Get in at least an hour of writing Saturday and Sunday

The only one I can cross off the list is "purchase groomsmen's clothes," and that's only because I scheduled it with all the guys and couldn't miss it.

You see, on Saturday, C drove me to the dentist. We have some family friends who own their own practice, and I've had a wisdom tooth that's been bothering me (I only have the top one on the left side, and without the bottom one, it was growing out of control). Our dentist friend offered to go in to the office on a Saturday to accommodate my schedule, which was great. So we went. And I had my wisdom tooth removed right then and there. It was growing straight and the roots weren't wrapped around anything, so he just numbed the area and popped the tooth right out.

It was a quick, painless procedure, and I got to keep the giant tooth that had been hanging out back there (it's in a box at home :P). However, I wasn't allowed to do anything that might get my blood pressure up for the entire day, and I was restricted to a liquid diet for all of Saturday. I know what you're thinking. "But that's the perfect excuse for reading/writing/painting! Why didn't you do it?!" And the short answer is: my fiance is awesome.

He felt bad that I wasn't able to do anything wild and crazy, so he offered to keep me company. He even restricted himself to a liquid diet so that I wouldn't be tormented by the sight of real food. We lounged around the house all day, watching shows on the DVR and drinking milkshakes. It was glorious, the kind of day we haven't had in a long time, what with being uber-busy and all.

Yesterday, when I was able to get back to normal, C was all for celebrating with our first date in I-don't-even-know-how-long. We spent the day goofing around, took all the groomsmen clothes shopping (and found awesome outfits, by the way), and then went out to dinner. Just the two of us. I can't even begin to tell you how wonderful it was.

I felt a little guilty on Saturday for not finishing anything on my list. But last night, as we drove home from playing games with our friends (after our dinner, of course), I realized that it didn't matter. For the first time in a long time, we had time to spend with each other, rather than working or doing homework or making things for the wedding. We felt a lot better for it. :)

Sometimes you need to bond with your WIP, wine and dine it and give it a little finesse so that it shines. This weekend, I needed that for my relationship. I'll be back to a more normal schedule this week, since we're 32 days away from our wedding and there's still a lot to be done, but it was nice to have a 2-day break.

How was your weekend?

J